- Osteoporosis & Fall Prevention Programme
Falls are a common cause of injuries among older adults, and the incidence of falls increases sharply with age.
In Singapore, approximately 8,000 seniors aged 65 and above, were admitted to restructured hospitals annually from 2013 to 2016, owing to falls. The number of hip fractures per year is projected to increase from 1,300 in 1998 to 9,000 in 2050.
In the first year following hip fractures, 33% become dependent or are admitted to nursing homes. There is a mortality rate of 20-24%.
The good news is that falls are preventable through clinical interventions and reducing risk factors.
(Reference: International Osteoporosis Foundation)
About Strong Bones Programme
Strong Bones Programme helps increase awareness of bone health and the importance of fall prevention through education, assessment, screening and treatment. Strong Bones Programme aims to reduce the number of falls among the elderly through early detection and intervention.
Four Focus Areas (EAST)
– Enhance public awareness and knowledge of fall prevention and osteoporosis
– Using validated assessment tools such as OSTA, TUG, SPPB and etc to identify seniors at risk for fall
– Bone Mineral Density (BMD) test for seniors at risk
– 3-pronged approach via well-balanced diet, exercise and supplements
- For seniors of 65 years old and above
Should you have any concerns regarding your suitability of your conditions or payment and would like to find out more, please contact the personnel below.
At SATA CommHealth, we are here to care.
- Lai Man Ru: email@example.com
- Hanna Devina: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yong Xinni (Elaine): email@example.com
Note: Sessions are *by appointment* only. Please make an appointment with our staff before you come down to our Day Rehabilitation Centre, to avoid making a wasted trip. Thank you.